James F. Monahan
September 2, 1937 - December 23, 2018
Service Date: January 4, 2019
James F. Monahan, 81, of Belleville, Illinois, born Thursday, September 2, 1937, in Charleston, WV, passed away Sunday, December 23, 2018 at his home in Belleville, Illinois.
James worked as a Professor for Lindenwood & Webster University. He was also a member of Queen of Peace Church Belleville Illinois, Knights of Columbus, and former Scout Leader . James served in the US Army for 26 years, retired as a Lt. Colonel and was a Vietnam War veteran.
He was preceded in death by his:
- Parents: Lawrence and Nell Virginia, nee Shaver, Monahan
- Brother: Lawrence Monahan Jr.
- Sister: Beverly Schell
Surviving are his:
- Wife: Cynthia, nee Randall, Monahan of Belleville, IL
- 4 Children
- James Gregory (Dina) Monahan of Daniel Island, SC
- Mary Elizabeth Monahan of Philadelphia, PA
- Geoffrey (Shelia) Monahan of Charleston, SC
- Kelley (Brian) Foley of Chicago, IL
- 10 Grandchildren
- Virginia Monahan
- Katelyn Hodge
- Sarah Clayton
- Julia Monahan
- Victoria Monahan
- Marissa Monahan
- Ashlyn Foley
- Liam Foley
- Keegan Foley
- Alec Gunnels
- 4 Great-Grandchildren
- 2 Brothers
- Michael (Peggy) Monahan of Richmond, VA
- John (Carol) Monahan of Kittrell, NC
- Sister: Virginia Norris of Vienna, VA
- Sister-in-Law: Barbara Monahan
- Many nieces and nephews
Memorials: Memorials may be made in lieu of flowers to the National American Cancer Society or St. Jude Children’s Hospital or The Galactosemia Foundation.
Visitation: Visitation from 10:00 am – 11:00 am, Friday, January 4, 2019 at Queen of Peace Church in Belleville, IL.
Funeral: Memorial Service will be held at 11:00 am, Friday, January 4, 2019 at Queen of Peace Church, with Father Matthew Elie officiating.